By Lisa Huddleston
1. Hazy, hot, and humid are the three most commonly used words.
2. THE County Fair ends this weekend.
3. We only need to mow the yard every other week.
4. The trees look tired of holding up dry, so-over-the-green leaves.
5. Visions of pumpkins, sweaters, and bonfires dance in our heads.
6. The public pool closes in one week.
7. The kids are already back in school. (Poor kids, poor teachers!)
8. Most of the flowers look just plain sad.
9. Cracker Barrel already has Christmas decorations on display.
10. Even the dog wants to stay inside in the air conditioning.
How do we get through the ennui? Find reasons to laugh, take it one moment at a time, and know that soon and very soon it will be autumn.
I’m thankful for the promise found in the changing seasons, for the beauty that is to come, and for the sound of the lawn mower that my son is riding to cut the grass one more time.